On average each academic year there are well over a 100 Postgraduate Research (PGR) students at LSTM from over 30 different countries.
Our research degrees provide outstanding, highly motivated individuals with the chance to make a significant contribution to their chosen area of research. Our students have the opportunity to work with a wide range of internationally renowned experts and leading research groups.
LSTM offers the following postgraduate research degrees:
- PhD studies are undertaken over a period of between two and four years (full-time) or four and seven years (part-time).
- MPhil studies take between one and two years (full-time), or two and four years (part-time).
- MD studies take a minimum of two years (part-time).
We supervise students in the following general research areas:
- Vector biology
- Public health
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Maternal and newborn health
- Clinical tropical medicine
- Humanitarian research
PhD students can choose from the following award titles: Tropical Medicine, Tropical Disease Biology, Vector Biology, Parasitology, Clinical Sciences, Global Health.
We offer opportunities to study full-time, part-time, in Liverpool or based ‘off-site’ – giving you the flexibility to integrate your research with your existing career or work in the field. Over half of our postgraduate research students are based ‘off-site’, supported by a network of supervisors based locally as well as in Liverpool.
Applications are accepted at any time of the year. Students are able to register and commence their studies on 1st February, 1st August and 1st October of each academic year.
LSTM is committed to providing:
- A dynamic, stimulating research environment in which students are fully integrated members of the LSTM research community.
- An experienced supervisory team of research active staff.
- Regular supervisory meetings and annual monitoring to ensure you are on track to complete your programme successfully.
- An annual PGR Student Conference, giving you the opportunity to present your research to your fellow students and LSTM staff.
- Wherever possible, support to attend external conferences and network with international researchers in your field.
- Access to laboratory equipment, research sites, library and electronic resources.